I have made a few different versions of the dirt bike cake. All are fun and fairly easy to do, you just need a little imagination, and a lot of icing! Here are some options for the bike-lover in your crew.
Make dirt bike cake (number one):
1) Use two round pans for the wheels and two rectangular pans for the rest of the body.
2) Bake the cakes.
3) When finished, cut out the the bike’s body from the rectangular cake.
4) Connect the “wheels” (round cakes) to the “bike body” with icing to hold it in place.
5) Use black food colouring (which you have to buy at a craft store) for the wheels and bars. (It stains your teeth but it’s worth it!)
6) Use licorice for the spokes and smarties or other candies to decorate. (I found steel looking candies called cola balls that worked great!)
The next two dirt bike cakes are very similar. The only changes I made were in cake number three, I cut out my son’s face from a picture and glued it to an action figure riding the bike. (He loved that!)
Make a dirt bike track (numbers two and three) :
1) Bake two rectangular cakes. One for the base and one to cut for features.
2) Once baked, leave one cake as is. Cut the other one up, and use the sides to build the hills.
3) Ice the entire cake with a thin layer of icing, then freeze.
4) Use dark chocolate icing to cover the “hills” and light chocolate icing to make the “track.” (I mixed some white chocolate and Nutella for the lighter track.)
5) Use “cereal tubes” to make the posts. Hold these together with icing and tape the name sign on.
6) To create atmosphere, use toys (like trees from your kids’ play kit) or candies like rock shape candy.
Chocolate cake recipe & chocolate icing- this is my favorite to use when I have time, otherwise I admit it I cheat & use a mix. Usually a fudge style chocolate cake mix works well. Same thing goes for the icing, if I have time I make it from scratch (it really is worth the effort) but lots of times I am running around my kitchen at midnight trying to get them done for the next day. When that happens I use pre made icing.
White icing recipe - I use butter instead of shortening
assorted candies – licorice strings, smarties, tubes, etc…
toys to accessorize
food colouring – black & whatever colour you want your dirtbike to be